Associate Director of Accounting
Associate Director of Accounting
Boston Massachusetts 02125
Associate Director of Accounting (Hybrid)
About Our Client:
Our client acts to build a strong, thriving, and diverse community in Boston’s Dorchester neighborhoods. They develop, preserve and sustain affordable housing for rent or ownership. They create commercial and economic development opportunities. They build community through community organizing and civic engagement activities. They are focused on the concepts of equitable development without displacement and providing opportunities for economic mobility.
Since their founding in 1979, our client has developed and preserved over 1100 units of rental and homeownership housing and 200,000 square feet of commercial space. They have created around 1,000 jobs and involved more than 1,500 young people in after school leadership development and organizing activities. They are one of Boston’s oldest and most established community development organizations with an annual operating budget of almost $5 million, a staff of just under 30, and $44 million in assets.
Our client’s total compensation package features a competitive compensation of $125,000 – $140,000 annually, depending on experience along with an amazing set of benefits that they considered towards the overall compensation, including:
· (5) Generous cost-sharing medical insurance packages for selection and no eligible waiting period.
· Employer paid Dental and Vision coverage
· Flexible Spending Account and Dependent Care Assistance Program
· Short-Term Disability, Long-Term Disability, Life and Accident Death
· Commuter Benefits Program
· Employee Wellbeing On-Demand Services
· Perks at Work Program
· 3 personal days
· 3 weeks’ vacation to start
· 15 sick days
· 17 paid holidays
· 403 (b) plan with generous employer contribution
· Flexible hybrid work environment
Reporting to the Director of Finance and Administration, you will participate and assist in the accurate and timely completion of all corporate finance, accounting, property management, and Information Technology functions within the organization. As the Associate Director of Accounting, you will collaborate with the Director of Finance and Administration to ensure budget compliance, track expenditures, and ensure appropriateness within funding source guidelines. You will also collaborate with the Real Estate Development team to develop and trace development budgets and all other departments on performance against budget and revenue and expense anomalies. Additionally, you will be responsible for coordinating the annual audit and tax filings of DBEDC and its affiliated corporations.
To be successful, you should have:
· Desire to work at an organization that is committed to racial equity and serves a diverse community predominantly of color.
· People and community-focused and can engage people from a wide array of backgrounds.
· Understanding and ability to demonstrate commitment to racial equity.
· Master’s degree in Accounting.
· Minimum seven years of accounting experience.
· Minimum five years of management experience.
· Entrepreneurial spirit and capacity to creatively solve problems.
· Commitment to the development and implementation of sound finance and accounting principles.
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to collaborate with and support non-financial professional colleagues.
· Computer literacy including word processing software, spreadsheets software, financial analysis and/or accounting software, and internet skills.
· Excellent organizational and time management skills.
· Capability to work occasional evenings or weekends to support activities needed outside of regular business hours.
· Ability to work in physical environments (this is not a virtual position)
It would be additionally phenomenal if you:
· Verbal and written fluency in Cape Verdean Kriolu, Haitian Creole, Spanish, or Vietnamese is highly desired.
· Experience in mission-oriented or social impact lending financial analysis, deal structuring, and relationship and loan processing management is desirable.
· CPA with CDC Real Estate development experience is strongly preferred.
· Relevant CDC real estate experience is considered a plus.
What you can expect to do as the Associate Director of Accounting:
· Collaborate with the Director of Finance and Administration and other department heads in the preparation of the corporation budget(s).
· Review budget fundraising proposals and grant applications prior to submissions.
· Review the preparation of any impact reporting.
· Prepare or review and provide analysis of monthly financial reports of Dorchester Bay EDC including its subsidiary corporations.
· Confer with the real estate development staff and provide guidance on the financial implications of real estate transactions. Support real estate staff in the development and submission of construction project requisition payments.
· Review billings on contracts or grant funding sources.
· Assist asset management staff in developing performance standards, optimizing property performance, and integrating asset performance into the corporation’s budget(s).
· Ensure completion of all required financial reporting for funding sources as needed.
· Participate in the proper filing of corporate tax returns.
· Prepare and act as a liaison for auditors during annual corporation audits and all funding source audits.
· Establish financial performance monitoring methods and standards.
· Determine the financial health of assets.
· Propose solutions to reduce potential structural deficits and monitor the disposition of annual cash flows.
· Identify potential risks that could affect the income stream and the viability of the properties meeting required debt service obligations.
· Interact as needed with lenders and property managers regarding the operation and management of the properties.
· Collaborate with relevant departments to achieve organizational goals and objectives, including Real Estate Development and Resident Services, within the organization to support specific departmental reporting and other requirements.
· Encourage, motivate, and support professional development.
· Support staff development by establishing performance expectations and work plans to meet goals and objectives.
· Monitor staff progress toward performance expectations (objectives) and adjust work plans as necessary to accomplish them.
Our client views diversity, inclusion, and cultural competence as vital principles in all their work with clients and communities. They welcome and encourage applications from visible minority groups members, indigenous persons, members of the LGBTQ community, persons with disabilities, and others who may contribute to the diversity of the organization and reflect the diversity of the communities we serve.
Share This Job