Job ID: 17121
Location: Kansas City Missouri
Technical Support Specialist
The Challenger Center is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization that inspires, engages, and prepares today’s students for the future through innovative K-12 science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) education programs. With our global network of Challenger Learning Centers, we give more than 250,000 students each year the opportunity to become scientists, engineers, and innovators and to work together on inspiring missions like finding life on Mars or preserving ocean species. Through our programs, students apply STEM concepts in the context of real-world challenges; they are exposed to a range of STEM careers, and they practice important skills like teamwork, communication, and problem-solving.
As the Technical Support Specialist, you will be a part of the Center Relations team supporting the global network of Challenger Learning Centers. Your main responsibility will be to provide technical support to Challenger Learning Centers by ensuring all requests for assistance or information are answered promptly and that all correspondence and final solutions are documented appropriately. You will be expected to provide the highest possible level of customer service when supporting all requests from Challenger Learning Centers.
To thrive, you should have:
- Ability to travel 60% of the time, including renting an automobile
- 1 – 3+ years of relevant experience in technical support, tiered level support experience
- Experience with and knowledge of computer networking, wired and wireless, as well as termination
- Experience troubleshooting hardware and software issues
- Experience in Information Technologies (desktop computers, Macintosh and PC operating systems, networks) and virtualization of various operating systems and software
- Experience in network design and remote management
- Customer service oriented, with emphasis on customer relationship management
- Knowledge of 3D printing a plus
- Basic construction knowledge a plus
- Ability to identify and work independently on special projects and lead projects as assigned
- Ability to deal with competing priorities
- Ability to work with various partners and vendors on projects
- Ability to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization
- Work well as a team with the other departments to continue the mission and vision of Challenger Center
Your responsibilities as the Technical Support Specialist will:
- Assist with providing technical support via phone/text, email, and/or onsite for education program hardware and software at Challenger Learning Centers.
- Keep inventory of onsite equipment and supplies.
- Develop and maintain technical instructional guides and best practices.
- Assist with the management of server platforms utilized at all Centers, including operating system virtualization as well as scheduling, implementing, and testing regular software updates.
- Assist in the development of new technology solutions.
- As requested, play a role in the design, testing, fabrication, distribution, and maintenance of hands-on labs for education programs
- As needed, provide support for new Challenger Center educational programs not installed in simulators.
- Work within program/project budgets and timelines.
- Work with outside contractors/vendors as directed.
- Coordinate with other departments/teams as needed.
- Keep abreast of relevant industry trends and best practices in STEM education, education technology, nonprofits, etc., and share knowledge with others.
- Attend staff meetings, assist with office support, and participate in professional networking and team-building activities. Support other administrative duties as needed.
- Perform other related duties and assignments as required
Best-in-Class Benefits and Perks:
We value our employees’ time and efforts. Our commitment to your success is enhanced by competitive compensation depending on experience and an extensive benefits package including:
- Comprehensive health coverage: Medical, dental, and vision insurance provided
- Robust retirement planning: 401(k) plan available with employer matching
- Financial security: Life and disability insurance for added protection
- Flexible financial options: Health savings and flexible spending accounts offered
- Well-being and work-life balance: Paid time off, flexible schedule, and remote work choices provided
Plus, we work to maintain the best environment for our employees, where people can learn and grow with the company. We strive to provide a collaborative, creative environment where everyone feels encouraged to contribute to our processes, decisions, planning, and culture.
We are an equal-pportunity employer that welcomes and encourages diversity in the workplace. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.