Job ID: 16661
Location: Kingwood Texas 77339
Insperity (NYSE: NSP) provides the most comprehensive suite of scalable HR solutions available in the marketplace with an optimal blend of premium HR service and technology. With 2022 revenues of $5.9 billion and more than 90 locations throughout the U.S., Insperity is currently making a difference for thousands of businesses and communities nationwide by delivering the administrative relief, reduced liabilities and better benefit solutions that businesses need for sustained growth. With over 4,100 employees, we are a diverse group of individuals pursuing a common mission: to help businesses succeed so communities prosper.
Behind our success is our unshakeable belief in the value of our people. At Insperity, we’re committed to providing a positive work environment, and to helping our employees succeed both personally and professionally. We celebrate work and life events, and we partner with our clients and communities to make great things happen.
We have received recognition numerous times as a top place to work, most recently ranking No. 28 on Glassdoor’s “Best Places to Work 2023 list of top large U.S. employers, with a 4.5 out of 5.0 rating. There is no better time to be a part of Insperity, and our best work is yet to come. Learn more at Insperity.com.
- Flexibility: At Insperity, work-life balance is an important aspect of our culture. We have established a flexible work program to help our employees balance their time and energy in a way that promotes employee wellbeing and helps grow the company.
- Career Growth: Insperity provides many ways for our employees to grow with the company. We offer continuous learning programs, professional development and leadership training programs, mentorship opportunities and ongoing training.
- Well-Being: At Insperity, we truly care about your well-being – inside and outside of the workplace. Our total rewards package includes competitive compensation, generous paid time off, top-tier medical, dental and vision benefits, 401(k) retirement plan with a matching component, health & wellness support, employee recognition programs, educational assistance, adoption assistance, and much more. We take care of our people so that you can do your best work.
- Community Impact: Insperity also supports our employees in their philanthropic efforts and encourages employees to get involved in their communities. We give employees paid volunteer time off, organize volunteer opportunities, and match eligible employee charitable donations.
Assistant General Counsel – Benefits Practice Group
We are currently seeking an Assistant General Counsel for our Benefits Practice Group. This position provides legal advice and counsel to the Company and internal departments on federal and state laws relating to health and welfare plans, including but not limited to the IRC, ERISA, the Affordable Care Act, COBRA, HIPAA, and CARES Act. This position also supports the Company with evaluating and responding to federal and state regulatory agency inquiries and proposed regulatory actions with the potential to impact the Company’s health and welfare plans. This position requires a significant level of independent decision-making regarding matters having Company-wide impact, and involving decisions that are guided by policies, objectives and inter-department coordination.
Under direction of Benefits Managing Counsel, this position will handle a variety of health and welfare benefit plan matters, including:
Providing verbal and written legal advice and counsel to benefits staff, on the design, implementation, and administration of welfare benefit plans (e.g., group health, life insurance, disability, cafeteria, HSAs, educational assistance, ancillary plans)
Assisting benefits staff on compliance matters (e.g., COBRA, Section 125 testing, qualified medical child support orders, HIPAA)
Remaining current with new or changing federal and state regulatory developments impacting benefits
Conducting primary research and analysis on federal and state-specific laws, regulations, and sub-regulatory guidance
Reviewing Company marketing materials referencing health and welfare benefits
Drafting and editing plan documents, SPDs, disclosure notices and participant written and on-line communications
Reviewing and advising on benefit disclosures, including Form 5500, Form M-1, summary annual reports, and ACA and state-specific reporting
Reviewing, coordinating, and responding to ERISA document requests and federal and state regulatory inquiries
Working with benefits staff, outside carriers, vendors, outside counsel and corporate legal staff on amending benefits contracts, and implementing new benefit programs and systems
The Insperity Legal Department provides legal advice and support to Insperity, but not to Insperity’s client base.
- Minimum of 5 years’ formal training as an ERISA attorney, with a substantial knowledge of laws, rules and regulations governing health and welfare benefits
- Significant experience with fully insured health and welfare benefit arrangements
- Strong working knowledge of ACA healthcare reform requirements (e.g., large and small employer group rules, insurance market reforms) and state mandates
- Experience with state health insurance laws, state insurance regulators, MEWAs, multiple employer plans or association health plans is preferred
- Ability to identify, comprehend and manage a variety of complex legal issues
- Client-service focus with excellent communication skills
- Business-minded approach to legal matters with the ability to identify and communicate technically complex issues in understandable and actionable ways to other members of the Legal Department and business team members
- Detail oriented with excellent editing and proofreading skills
- Doctor of Jurisprudence degree from an accredited law school required
- Current law license required
About Insperity’s Legal Department:
The Insperity Legal Department is comprised of five practice groups with a total of 31 legal professionals, including 18 lawyers, two governmental affairs specialists and 11 staff members. The Benefits Practice Group is comprised of four lawyers. The remainder of the Insperity Legal Department is comprised of the Transactions & Corporate Law Practice Group, the Employment Law Practice Group, the Litigation & Dispute Resolution Practice Group and the Governmental Affairs Practice Group. The Legal Department follows a hybrid work schedule with the team being in the office three days per week.
At Insperity, we celebrate the diversity of our employees and our leadership. Insperity is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.